11:20 PM

Hmm... and so I Learn about what's on the International Bill of Human Rights

I flipped the TV on, before I headed out to work this morning, out of curiosity on what would be the topics of discussion on the NTV7 Breakfast Show. What really caught my attention was a mention on what has been put into the International Bill of Human Rights

It got me thinking... and just to be sure, I Googled it up and found the Bill. This was the basis to what was mentioned on air (quote verbatim):

"Article 3, the first cornerstone of the Declaration, proclaims the right to life, liberty and security of person -a right essential to the enjoyment of all other rights. This article introduces articles 4 to 21, in which other civil and political rights are set out, including: freedom from slavery and servitude; freedom from torture and cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment; the right to recognition everywhere as a person before the law; the right to an effective judicial remedy; freedom from arbitrary arrest, detention or exile; the right to a fair trial and public hearing by an independent and impartial tribunal; the right to be presumed innocent until proved guilty; freedom from arbitrary interference with privacy, family, home or correspondence; freedom of movement and residence; the right of asylum; the right to a nationality; the right to marry and to found a family; the right to own property; freedom of thought, conscience and religion; freedom of opinion and expression; the right to peaceful assembly and association; and the right to take part in the government of one's country and to equal access to public service in one's country."

Reading the last part of the paragraph kinda reminded me about what appears to be a sore topic for most parents in our society (based on what I hear from my own parents and what most of my gal pals have observed about their own parents)... Most of our parents seem to be unable to accept the idea of their kids entering into a faith/religion different from their own.

In our multi-cultural society, it is rather interesting that while our parents may be able to express respect for the faith of others... they can at the same time abhor the idea of having anyone in their family move out of what they themselves consider to be the "norm".

But whatever it is, I do believe that at the end of the day, regardless of what my parents have to say (good intentions on their part and so forth)... I will be the one who has to live with my choices, believes, faith and ideals.

And whatever I do, I just hope that my parents are able to respect my decisions as much as I respect what they do i.e. those moments when I think "Yeah, I understand where you are going with this but I don't necessarily believe in the same concept/thing/practice... but I'll give you one (point) on the fundamental goal/objective of what you are saying... just because". Yeah... I know... it kinda drives them a bit nuts when I hint at disagreement with them but... hey... whatever...

Thus said... does it mean that all the emotional blackmail that our parents have issued to us on topics like faith/religion... was against human rights? That's really some food for thought :P

2 comments:

Wind Dancer said...

I wouldn't go as far as saying against human rights... it's just their way of expressing their opinions and trying to imprint it on you (it's an old fashioned way of doing it, emotional blackmail). Also, I doubt if most of them are aware of the Bill itself ;)

aewis said...

Lolz... I put the question out in jest. I don't think many people even know about what is in the International Bill of Human Rights. Having it is one thing. Actually having people know about it and observe what's stated in the Bill is another matter altogether.