11:07 PM

The Ghost of Friday the 13th

Amazingly, today was the one time that I'm not aware of Friday the 13th. Coincidentally, it's also the day that things decided to take a life of its own at the office.

All the task I had for the day were lined up pretty and I had all the confidence in the world that I could get things done... until of course... the LAN port at my cube died. It totally died!

And get this... the office phones are VoIP ones... which means... I'm doomed with no cabled network and phone to use. As if that was not bad enough, the wireless network signal where I sit... is next to useless during peak office hours.

Yeah, if it was any other day where I don't have tasks to complete... I would be more than happy to bask in the glory of being literally cut off from the basic things that we need in modern office life.

With no obvious empty desk(s) on the 1st floor, the only thing I could do in order to get some work done was simply... to park myself at one of the empty cubes on the ground floor... one where I can see a wireless access point just about right above my head.

Oh yes... I went to squat at some "abandoned" cube.

Well... if that is what it takes to get my work done... so be it... amen to that and next time... I will try to remember to notice you - Friday the 13th... you sure know how to strike when I don't joke about you or notice that you are here.

0 comments: